As many of you know, Caring Hands has volunteered for several years with Hope Totes (https://www.hopetotes.org/) helping to make sure that children and foster children taken from their homes have new clothing, toiletries, blankets, etc. to call their own.
Our own Needle Arts group has taken up the call making fleece blankets, toiletry bags, pillowcases, and small toys to go into each Hope Totes bag. (Needle Arts also makes toys to donate to the local animal shelters.)
Now Needle Arts needs your help and Caring Hands is coming to their aide by collecting things they need to continue their fabulous volunteer crafting efforts.
It’s time to clean out your closets! For the rest of the year, we will be collecting items at the summer coffees and all luncheons. If you cannot make any of those events, feel free to give them to a board member at any of our other activities. If you are a member of your neighborhood Buy Nothing Group and you see someone posting about fabric or yarn to give, please consider asking for it. Remember, this will be an ongoing collection.
Needle Arts is looking for:
- Fleece for making blankets
- Yarn for crocheting the edge of the blankets
- Cotton fabrics to make pillow cases for Hope Totes and also stuffed toys
- Knitting needles and crochet hooks
- Sewing thread
- Machine and hand needles
- Ribbons and trims
- Cotton, wool or polyester batting
- Broken jewelry to use as decor on items we sell at RRNN craft fairs, like baskets and name tags
- Leftover craft kits like needle point, Christmas stockings, wall hangings, felt ornaments, cross stitch
- 100% wool sweaters that are too moth eaten or worn out to be donated to charity (for padding)
And also – any craft supplies in general – what does not get used will be taken to Austin Creative Reuse Center https://www.austincreativereuse.org/
Caring Hands Chair